Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Year: The College Professor Returns to School, Week 3

Getting Paid?

I have always found it interesting that there are many people who feel that teachers are overpaid, over-hyped babysitters.  I am sure you have seen the math, but in case you have not, there are several online places to find it (http://jaxkidsmatter.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-teachers-were-paid-like-babysitters.html).  Simply put, as a babysitter I would make more.  
I knew returning to the public school classroom would not make me rich. Heck, it does not come close to covering our household expenses, which causes me to grieve, but I will get to that later. However, what I did not know was that the county was ranked next to last, 66th out of 67 counties in the area of teacher pay (2010-11).  Only Taylor County, listed at $30,000 paid its beginning teachers less. Am I surprised? No. Am I surprised that the $30,910 that the county pays beginning teachers has not increased since the 2007-08 school year reported in the PDF on the district's website? (http://images.pcmac.org/Uploads/GadsdenCounty/GadsdenCounty/Departments/Forms/GCPS%202007-2008%20Salary%20Schedule%20-%20Bd%20Appvd%20December%2018,%202007-1.pdf) Unfortunately, no. According to data published by Florida's Department of Education, the average teacher salary was $45,723 for 2010-11 (Bureau of Education Information and Accountability Services, Florida Department of Education), some $14,000 more than Gadsden County.  

I believe in the old adage, You get what you pay for.  Of course there are talented, gifted teachers in the system who would not trade their jobs for anything.  I am sure a large percentage of these people are homegrown.  They do not desire to pull stakes and leave.  There is also another set of teachers, not only in this county, but neighboring counties, who are there to gain the experience, await a partner's pending graduation from law school, medical school, or graduate school, and then bounce. Since we are an arm's throw from two major state universities, it stands to reason that those who could address the problem are not in a mad dash to do so.  The yearly revolving door, especially in higher grades, is nothing new to this county or similar counties nearby and thus explains their state grades and rankings. 

I believe that those who teach our youngest scholars would do so for almost free.  Talk to a PreK or kindergarten teacher and you will walk away with similar thoughts. However, fast forward to upper middle and high school and I believe you will hear a different, disparaging story.  I think teacher pay explains the disparate findings between and among school grades.  If you have predominately A and B elementary schools, what happens as they transition to middle and high? Yes, many of those A and B students who are in a position to leave, do. But not all of them. I think the revolving door, the in and out of new teachers over and over and over can be partly blamed.  Not to mention those areas in which no highly qualified teacher is found or ever employed are tested and are part of a school's grade.  I have heard horror stories of people receiving their first check in September, then quickly walking off the job.  I seriously believe were lower paying counties able to pay more they would receive more highly qualified instructors. All shuck and jive aside, money talks.

Teachers grow discontent when they are told year after year that they cannot receive a step increase, bonus or raise because there is no money only to learn of newly created administrative positions with starting salaries that are twice or more than what a beginning teacher starts with. Yes, the money source may be a grant, or comes from  one-time stimulus dollars, but a quick financial check-up of most counties will reveal wasteful spending and a large number of nonessential personnel.  

So, just what does someone like me make in such a county? First, toss those college teaching years. This county does not pay for those, although of course there are counties within the state that do. Second, there is only a $2,481 difference between a Bachelor's and a Doctorate. The increase does not cover the cost of one semester of doctoral studies. Thus, one could assume that the county does not encourage the attainment of advanced degrees. Why would I say that? Because in counties with a proportion of teachers with advanced degrees, the pay substantially increases with each additional degree, some as much as $8,000.  Including the three years of public school experience that I bring with me - I did not bother to validate the time taught in another county to see if it would add another year - and a doctorate in Curriculum & Instruction.... drum roll please.... I am slated to earn $34,095, give or take. 

Does the low pay dictate how I teach? No. But, this is not true of everyone. Does the low pay dictate my level of expectations for students? No. But, this is not true of everyone.  I am annoyed to no end by remarks such as, "You knew going in that teaching does not pay," or "Those you can, do. Those who can't, teach." Trust me when I tell you that there are billions of dollars in education. Were funds distributed equitably across positions, I do not believe there would be dissension.  It also bothers me that when teachers voice their constitutional right to free speech, people pounce.  They question your commitment to teaching and ask silly questions, "Aren't our children worth more than gold? Shouldn't teachers teach because of what's at stake?" Clearly, if people really believed that teachers were valuable I would have had to direct this entry to another topic.  Teachers, don't be bullied.  You can love what you do. You can love your students and want what is best for them. You can give teaching all that you have and still find more to give. But, there is nothing wrong with demanding better benefits, better pay, more respect, and better working conditions. And this is certainly true in those states that want to reduce teachers to customer service representatives (many who, by the way, still make more than the beginning teacher).

I won't go off on unions or those who have been granted permission to negotiate a fair and advantageous contract on the behalf of teachers.  There are states that have pay equity across counties, thus whether you teach in the state's urban center, capital, or the boonies, you earn roughly the same.  There are other states, however, that wish to tie teachers' salaries to their students' performance on exams. I am sorry, but the only way you should hold me financially accountable for the outcome of an exam is if I took it.

Until next week...

1 comment:

Tangela said...

I have really enjoyed your three posts and I'm looking forward to what's to come! I hope you plan on turning this information into a book!